General introduction to Maanshan city
Located in the eastern part of Anhui Province, neighboring to Nanjing City across the Yangtze River, Maanshan is known as the eastern gate of Anhui province and the garden of Nanjing.
Maanshan was founded in October, 1956. The city of Maanshan covers an area of 4049 km2 with a total population of 2.3 million. The urban area accounts for 704 km2 and built-up area covers 86 km2 of the 4049 km2. The approximate urbanization rate is 61%. Maanshan has jurisdiction over 3 counties, 3 districts, one state economic andtechnological development zone, one state high-tech industrial development zone, one provincial high-tech industrial development zone and six provincial economy development zone.
1. Industrial city with solid foundation. Maanshan was founded based on steel, and led by industry. Industry takes up 68.1% of the total economy. There are 639 above-scale enterprises, 9 listed companies, 10 stocks, which have formed an industry group of steel, machinery, automobile, electricity, chemical engineering, building materials, food, casting, etc. Heavy industry is of natural feature of the city which takes proportion of 91%in industry. There are all kinds of fabricating machinery which makes strong industrial supporting capacity. Ma Steel is one of the biggest listed enterprises in China; production & sales and market share of Xingma Automobile is the top of the nation, while equipment manufacturing enterprises, such as Taier Heavy industry, FY Slewing Ring, Keda Machinery & Electricity, possess great competitive power among fellow enterprises.
2. Vibrant and Innovative City. It includes Anhui University of Technology and Sinosteel Maanshan Institute of Mining Research, are among the 6 institutions of higher learning. There are 3 national scientific research institutions, 4 National Engineering Research Renter, 1 National Technology Center, 2 State Key Laboratory, 1 National Steel and Products Quality Supervision, and Inspection Center. Vibrant and innovative city also has 18 Provincial Engineering Research Renter, 33Provincial Technology Center, 8 Provincial Key Laboratory, 4 Academician workstation, 10 postdoctoral scientific research stations, 1 National High-tech Innovation Service Center, and 1 National Productivity Promotion Centre. The total number of scientific and technological talents is 174 thousand. There are 820 professionals, and 1.6 authorized invention patents every ten thousand people. Maanshan tops the list of the same size cities. As a result of this, Maanshan is perceived to be the National High-tech Industrial Base of New Materials, theState Intellectual Property Pilot City, and National Entrepreneurial PilotCity.
3. Hub city connecting the Yangtze River. Hub city has water, land, and air transportation system. The annual output of Maanshan port reaches 50 million ton, which makes Maanshan port one of the 10 biggest ports of the Yangtze River and the nation first-class port. Zhengpu Port of He County which is being constructed will be the fourth biggest port of the Yangtze River, and the biggest port of Anhui. The distance between Maanshan and Nanjing Lukou International airport is less than 30 miles; and Maanshan is less than 20 miles away from Nanjing Station of Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway. Once the intercity high-speed rail being constructed is complete, it will only take an hour and a half to go to Shanghai from Maanshan and 3 hours to go to Beijing by railway.
4. Profound cultural city. Ape-man ruins of He County existed 300 to 400 thousand years ago. It was one of the earliest ape man ruins. Lingjiatan ancient culture relics and Yantun Mountain relics which is near the town was about 5300 years ago. Lingjiatan ancient culture relics bring Chinese’s city history forward for more than 1000 years, and these relics were known as the first light of Chinese ancient civilization by domestic archaeologists.
5. Livable city of civility. Founded on the bank of Yangtze River, around the Yushanhu Lake and among the hills, Maanshan is a typical landscape garden city of the south bank of the Yangtze River. It has been awarded many titles, such as National Sanitary City, National Garden City, China’s Excellent Destination for Tourism, National Model City for Environment Protection, National Model City for Virescense, Nationa lModel City for Living Environment, and Dubai International Model City for Living Environment. In January, 2009, it became the first city among 86 cities in 6 provinces in central China to win the honor of National Civilized City. In2011, Maanshan maintain its title as National Civilized City, National Sanitary City and National Model City for Mutual Support between the Civilian and the Arm Forces with high scores. Its score for National Civilized City ranks No. 4 among all the prefecture-level cities. Earlier this year, it won the honor of National Advanced City for the Youth Moral Cultivation with its score ranking the third among all the prefecture-level cities.